Is your world revolving around Google and Yahoo? It is pretty natural to think because of their widespread usage and popularity. However, the world has more beyond these two to offer. You just have to be curious to gain new ideas.
Have you heard of Vertical Search Engines? I am sure some of you have, although the rest are hearing it for the first time. The fundamentals of vertical search engines are distinctive to that of regular web search engines. The specialized focus on a single segment is the primary characteristic of vertical search platforms.
There are several users who want to get topic-specific information without any fluff. Vertical search platforms are made for them. If you are annoyed with the enormous and messy information of Google, then start using the Vertical search software system today.
The vertical content area could be anything like media, health, entertainment, etc. At the same time, some prevalent verticals may include legal, medical, scholarly literature, hospitality, job search, automotive, and others.
In this guide, we are going to elaborate on what a vertical search engine is and how they benefit users like you. Read the article till the end to get accurate information about these search platforms.
What Is A Vertical Search Engine?
Vertical Search Engines are those search engines that dedicate to a specific focus area. For example, in marketing and business, the word ‘vertical’ refers to niche or genre. Through this search engine, you can look for niche-specific information on any topic.
The concept of vertical search engines is similar to vertical markets. They are a specific type of vertical portal containing content in their indexes on different genres. It seems from the explanation that their functions are identical to the tailored search elements of a general search engine like Yahoo or Google.
Unlike Google, they try to index a large part of WWW (World Wide Web) employing a web-crawler. By using a focused crawler, they index the relevant and informative web pages, centralized on a set of subjects.
However, vertical sites have some distinctive features that you should consider before hopping on to one. For instance, certain vertical areas concentrate on single verticals, whereas others have had many verticals in a single engine.
How Does A Vertical Search Engine Benefit You?
Now that you have got a basic idea of a vertical search engine let us move on to the benefits or advantages that you may enjoy while using it.
Vertical search is similar to venture pursuit. However, it specifically focuses on a specific enterprise, such as a corporation, government, or other entity.
Do you want to know a little history? FindTheBest is a consumer pricing comparison website with an integrated vertical search engine. It received substantial rounds of venture capital financing in 2013, showing a rising trend for these vertical search applications.
Nevertheless, the potential benefits are as follows:
- They support unique user searches and tasks
- The results have greater precision and accuracy than the regular search single-engine.
- They also optimize domain knowledge such as ontologies and taxonomies.
What Are Some Examples Of Vertical Search Engines?
By now you must have understood what vertical search engines are and what their main functionalities are. Now its is time to come across some relevant examples of the same:
- Skyscanner: It is a flight search engine that provides you accurate information on available hotels, flights, and hotels. In addition, it shows various rental car offers for a chosen location.
- TinEye.com: It is a form of reverse search engine that provides colossal information after taking an image as an input. The types of data include details about the source of the image, copyright facts, other sites that used the image, resolutions, and versions.
- iMediSearch: It is a medical search engine where you can look for specialized medical content. The information available here is absolutely perfect for physicians, pharmacists, nurses as well as the general public.
- Social Search Engine: It enables users to find shreds of content exclusively from social media networks such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Blogspot, and Google Plus.
- Shopzilla: This vertical search engine helps users to look for shopping-related information. You can browse different shipping categories or even look for particular items.
- Indeed: Last but not least is – Indeed. It is an employment search engine platform, which facilitates communication between job-seekers and recruiters. You can select your industry, fill in your details, upload a resume, and contact HRs by searching several job databases.
What Is Vertical Search Optimization?
Do you want to know a secret? It is found that traditional search engine usage has recently been facing a decline. Nevertheless, as the popularity of vertical search engines rises, more and more people are leaning towards it.
So what is Vertical Search Optimization or VSO? Well, let’s not be too complicated. In simple terms, the indexing and presentation of material specific to a site, industry, or category are known as vertical search optimization.
Vertical SEO deals with achieving high rankings on vertical search engines. There are thousands of vertical markets on the earth, and that makes it highly competitive. So in order to stay ahead of them in the search engine ranking, vertical SEO has come into being.
The Bottom Line
We hope that you have understood that Google is not the end. Yes, we use Google most of the time, but the internet world has so much more than that. If you want to conduct in-depth research on a topic with an extremely particular set of information, then Vertical search is your ultimate destination.
If you find this article useful, share it with your friends or colleagues who need it as well. Also, if you feel anything to add, undoubtedly drop your opinion in the comment section. Finally, keep supporting us to get more exciting articles on similar technical topics in the future.